NU VET PLUS AND NU VET JOINT
By Phoebe Assenza
Bringing a new puppy home is a thrilling experience, but if you don't have everything in place upon its arrival, the experience can turn from happy to harrowing. We've assembled a checklist of items you may already have on hand, and a few to purchase ahead of time.
1. An appropriate-sized crate. Dogs are den animals, and they love the comfort and security offered by a snug space of their own. Ideally, the crate will have three "walls," with a front gate your dog can see through. It's important to find a crate that's just the right size for your puppy. If the crate has too much room, the puppy is likely to have an "accident" inside of it. But the crate should not be so small that he doesn't have room to sit up or stretch out. Add some bedding, like old sheets, T-shirts, or towels, so puppy has something soft to sleep on, and be sure to leave him a few chew toys.
2. Wire playpen. We recommend these wire panels, which can be configured to any size or shape you might need. They can also be used to block doorways to rooms you'd like to keep off-limits.
3. Wee-Wee Pads. These are essential for puppies not fully immunized and not yet allowed outside. They may also be a permanent solution for apartment dwellers or others who find outdoor housetraining impractical.
4. Chew Toys. A new puppy will chew anything in his path: your shoes, furniture, DVDs. Make sure you have plenty of toys to chew instead, and always offer a toy when you catch him chewing a nontoy. We recommend starting with a variety, as different breeds and individual puppies gravitate toward different things. It will take some trial and error to figure out what your dog likes best. Start with a multipack of puppy bones, squeak toys, furry toys, and rubber balls.
5. Leash and collar. Even if your puppy is not fully immunized and therefore not ready to go outside, you can introduce him to his leash and collar, and get him accustomed to wearing it. Our favorite "collar" is the no-choke Puppia harness.
6. Bitter Apple Spray. After puppy-proofing your home, there may still be a few items you can't just place out of puppy's reach, like the corners of your furniture. Bitter Apple Spray can be applied to most household items. It's scentless for humans, but tastes nasty to dogs, and keeps their curious mouths away.
7. Puppy food and bowls. This is obvious, as puppies need to eat about three times a day and require a bowl of fresh water nearby most of the time. Purchase high-quality pet food recommended by your vet or breeder, and serve in a stainless steel bowl (steel collects less bacteria than glass or plastic).
8. Nature's Miracle or other enzyme cleaner. Even the best-trained puppy will have an indoor accident at some point, and it should be cleaned up within seconds, when possible. The difference between enzyme cleansers and your regular household spray is that the enzymes will eliminate odors that only your dog can smell, reducing any reminder that he's gone potty in any particular part of your house. Also, avoid any cleaning agent that contains ammonia — the chemical smells just like pee to a dog, and dogs love "going" where they've "gone" before.
WHAT COMES WITH YOUR PUPPY?
AKC PUPPY PROTECTION PACKAGE PROVIDED BY AKC
Every puppy comes with a FREE AKC Puppy Protection Package! This package is valued at $217.
But we feel it is very important for the puppy to have this coverage.
The AKC Puppy Protection Package includes everything listed below:
- AKC Registration (you choose a unique name for your puppy.)
- AKC Puppy Care and Training DVD (this is an excellent resource!)
- AKC Good Dog! Helpline (lifetime live phone support from AKC trainers
- AKC Reunite Microchip Enrollment & Lifetime pet recovery services (microchip is already implanted)
- AKC New Puppy Handbook
- AKC Family Dog Magazine – 1 year subscription
- AKC Veterinary Network – Complementary first Vet visit with a participation veterinarian.
- AKC Pet Health Care Plan – Complementary 60 day Free Trial.
All of these services are provided at NO cost to you, Just return the requested information back to AKC once it arrives in your mailbox.
YORKIES BY CHERI ALSO SENDS A PUPPY PAK:
Every puppy comes with a Puppy Pack.
Our Puppy Protection package comes with everything listed below:
- First DHPP Vaccine (Distemper, Hepatitis (Adenovirus type 2), Parainfluenza, & Parvovirus) given around 9 weeks
Puppy will be on a regular worming schedule
Puppy will be puppy pad trained
- Puppy Blanket
-One or Two Toys
- Matching leash & harness
Washable Puppy Pad
Small Bag of Puppy Food
Misc Other Items
Six day supply of NuVet Plus Supplement. Your puppy will be started on this when they start
eating on their own. I highly recommend your puppy continue this supplement when he or
she goes to their new home. See our NuVet Supplement Page for more information. Now is a good
time to order your NuVet Plus for your puppy so he will have it when he is home.
All Puppy Vet Records and Vaccine Records pertaining to your puppy.
Care and Info about Hypoglycemia and the all around care of your puppy
once you get it home.
Lifetime Support from Yorkies By Cheri, available when and if you need us always.
We are so glad to have you become part of our puppy family here at YORKIES BY CHERI
CHI CHI is a gorgeous Sable girl and she carries e/e Blonde. She is about 6.5 lbs and has fantastic conformation. She has a gorgeous dark golden face. She is really
Stunningly handsome Blonde Chocolate Boy. He is 3.5 lbs. Short legs, tiny ears, short body.
She is most certainly true to her name. She demands belly rubs before bedtime. Will verbally scold if you don't get her dinner quick enough. She does have attitude but she is as her namesake suggests, lovely, loving and full of mischief. We love her to pieces. She is a gorgeous Blonde Chocolate and
carries the parti gene. She is one of a kind
not spoiled at all. she is 5 lbs
handsome Blonde Chocolate little boy. He is 3.5 lbs. of studliness He has excellent conformation and a tiny short face. He has the biggest green eyes. Just gorgeous and sweet